Wednesday, February 15, 2012

LIS 7850 wrap up

This class has challenged me to take a closer look at accessibility in libraries. Although equal access has been an important issue for me throughout my career in library and information science, this class has given me a solid framework with which to approach the task of making libraries more accessible.

Before this class, I had spent time reading and learning about disability issues, but this class gave me the opportunity to expand my understanding and think about these issues in the context of libraries. Also, I was far less aware of issues surrounding aging and access issues related to aging, and this class has challenged me to look critically at stereotypes related to age and to examine ways to improve services for older adults.

Through the SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats) analysis, I learned strategies for systematically evaluating library services and ways they can be improved for greater accessibility.

I believe the knowledge and insight I have gained will help me to be a better information professional by bringing more understanding to my interactions with older adults and people with disabilities. I will also be better equipped to evaluate and improve access to library services, design programs targeted for and inclusive of marginalized groups, and educate my colleagues about these issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment